Pop. That word, genre, capitalist marketing team, whatever you want to call it, is what the whole alternative scene came together to fight against.
Indie was meaningful, real, challenging and pop was, errr, well evil. Just evil no explanations.
Now that we’ve seen indie music jump stream into the mainstream, see what I did there, can we really hold it up to such high esteem and call it ‘independent’ any more. It is just as popular as traditional pop and r’n’b and it is fair to say indie has been equally bad at times.
With that in mind I believe we shouldn’t turn our noses up at more popular music anymore.
It has made collosal mistakes, as does every other genre, but no one can deny that it has come up with as many gems over the years as any other genre.
So here’s my mixtape with what I think are some particularly huge pop diamonds, enjoy.
1. Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)- Beyonce
2. Are You That Somebody?- Aaliyah
3. L.E.S Artistes- Santigold
4. Love Long Distance- Gossip
5. Bootylicious- Destiny’s Child
6. Bulletproof- La Roux
7. Hot ‘n’ Cold- Katy Perry
8. Bad Romance- Lady Gaga
9. Bills Bills Bills- Destiny’s Child
10. Rude Boy (Diplo Rudeboyz Remix)- Rihanna
11. Lights Out- Santigold
12. Sweet Dreams- Beyonce
13. Make It Take It- Amanda Blank
14. Stillness Is The Move (Dirty Projectors Cover)- Solange
15. Jai Ho- A. R. Rahman Ft. Pussycat Dolls
16. Telephone- Lady Gaga Ft. Beyonce